Hardware security module
enabling strong cryptography
and CA root keys protection
for enterprise IT solutions
The World’s #1
Compact and affordable hardware security module
Cryptographic Keys Protection
Generates, stores and manages Certificate Authority root keys on servers.
Comprehensive Cryptographic Toolbox
YubiHSM 2 provides an exhaustive toolbox that generates and verifies digital signatures.
Secure Microsoft Active Directory Certificates
A hardware security module that protects Microsoft PKI digital keys
Strong cryptography hardware security module
Enables asymmetric cryptography
Supports Windows, Linux, and Mac OS
Standard USB-A interface, fits inside a port
Slim “nano” form-factor, only 1 gram weight
Open source SDK for easy integration
Enable Hardware-Based Cryptographic Operations
The YubiHSM 2 is a hardware module providing superior protection from phishing and malware attacks for CA root keys on servers. Cost-effective and accessible, it makes deployment easy for every enterprise. The module provides a greater level of security for organizations running Microsoft Active Directory Certificate Services, offering a compelling approach for generation, storage and management of digital keys. Its convenient “nano” form-factor fits inside a USB port, which eliminates the need for additional, space-consuming hardware and offers a flexible way for offline key backup and transfer.
YubiHSM 2 features are accessible through Yubico’s Key Storage Provider (KSP) for industry-standard PKCS#11 or Microsoft’s CNG, or via native Windows, Linux and macOS libraries.
YubiHSM 2 can be used as a comprehensive cryptographic toolbox for a wide range of open source and commercial applications. The most common use case being hardware-based digital signature generation and verification.
Enhance Protection for Cryptographic Keys YubiHSM 2 offers a compelling option for secure generation, storage and management of keys. Key protection is done in the secure on-chip hardware isolated from operations on the server. Most common use cases involve protecting of the certificate authorities (CAs) root key. YubiHSM 2 capabilities include: generate, write, sign, decrypt, hash and wrapping keys.
Enable Hardware-based Cryptographic Operations YubiHSM 2 can be used as a comprehensive cryptographic toolbox for low-volume operations in conjunction with a huge set of open source and commercial applications spanning many different products and services. Most common use case involve on-chip hardware based processing for signature generation and verification.
Secure Microsoft Active Directory Certificate Services YubiHSM 2 can provide hardware backed keys for your Microsoft-based PKI implementation. Deploying YubiHSM 2 to your Microsoft Active Directory Certificate services not only protects the CA root keys but also protects all signing and verification services using the root key.
- Secure key storage and operations
- Extensive cryptographic capabilities: RSA, ECC, ECDSA (ed25519), SHA-2, AES
- Secure session between HSM and application
- Role-based access controls for key management and key usage
- 16 concurrent connections
- Optionally network sharable
- Remote management
- Unique “Nano” form-factor, low-power usage
- M of N wrap key Backup and Restore
- Interfaces via YubiHSM KSP, PKCS#11, and native libraries
- Tamper evident Audit Logging
Secure key storage and operations
Create, import, and store keys, then perform all crypto operations in the HSM hardware to prevent theft of keys while at rest or in use. This protects against both logical attacks against the server, such as zero-day exploits or malware, and consequences of physical theft of a server or its hard drive.
Extensive cryptographic capabilities
YubiHSM 2 supports hashing, key wrapping, asymmetric signing and decryption operations including advanced signing using ed25519. Attestation is also supported for asymmetric key pairs generated on-device.
Secure session between HSM and application
The integrity and privacy of commands and data in transit between the HSM and applications are protected using a mutually authenticated, integrity and confidentiality protected tunnel.
Role-based access controls for key management and key usage
All cryptographic keys and other objects in the HSM belong to one or more security domains. Access rights are assigned for each authentication key at creation time, which allow a specific set of cryptographic or management operations to be performed per security domain. Admins assign rights to authentication keys based on its use case, such as an event monitoring app that needs the ability to read all audit logs in the HSM, or a Registration Authority that needs to issue (sign) end user digital certificates, or a domain security admin who needs to create and delete crypto keys.
16 concurrent connections
Multiple applications can establish sessions with a YubiHSM to perform cryptographic operations. Sessions can be automatically terminated after inactivity or be long-lived to improve performance by eliminating session creation time.
To increase the flexibility of deployments, the YubiHSM 2 can be made available for use over the network by applications on other servers. This can be especially advantageous on a physical server that is hosting multiple virtual machines.
Easily manage multiple deployed YubiHSMs remotely for the entire enterprise – eliminate on-call staff complexity and travel expense.
Unique “Nano” form-factor, low-power usage
The Yubico “Nano” form factor allows the HSM to be inserted completely inside a USB-A port so it’s completely concealed – no external parts that protrude out of the server back or front chassis. It uses minimal power, max of 30mA, for cost-savings on your power budget.
M of N wrap key Backup and Restore
Backing up and deploying cryptographic keys on multiple HSMs is a critical component of an enterprise security architecture, but it’s a risk to allow a single individual to have that ability. The YubiHSM supports setting M of N rules on the wrap key used to export keys for backup or transport, so that multiple administrators are required to import and decrypt a key to make it usable on additional HSMs. For example in an enterprise, the Active Directory root CA private key might be key wrapped for 7 administrators (M=7) and at least 4 of them (N=4) are required to import and unwrap (decrypt) the key in the new HSM.
Interfaces via YubiHSM KSP, PKCS#11, and native libraries
Crypto enabled applications can leverage the YubiHSM via Yubico’s Key Storage Provider (KSP) for Microsoft’s CNG or industry-standard PKCS#11. Native libraries are also available on Windows, Linux and macOS to enable more direct interaction with the device’s capabilities.
Tamper evident Audit Logging
The YubiHSM internally stores a log of all management and crypto operation events that occur in the device and that log can be exported for monitoring and reporting. Each event (row) in the log is hash chained with the previous row and signed so that it’s possible to determine if any events are modified or deleted.
Direct USB Support
New Feature: The YubiHSM 2 can talk directly to the USB layer without the need for an intermediate HTTP mechanism. This delivers an improved experience for the developers who are developing solutions for virtualized environments.
Operating System Support
Windows, Linux, macOS
|Linux||CentOS 6 |
|Windows||Windows 10 |
Windows Server 2012
Windows Server 2016
|macOS||10.12 Sierra |
10.13 High Sierra
Cryptographic interfaces (APIs)
- Microsoft CNG (KSP)
- PKCS#11 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
- Native YubiHSM Core Libraries (C, python)
Hashing (used with HMAC and asymmetric signatures)
- SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512
- 2048, 3072, and 4096 bit keys
- Signing using PKCS#1v1.5 and PSS
- Decryption using PKCS#1v1.5 and OAEP
Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC)
- Curves: secp224r1, secp256r1, secp256k1, secp384r1, secp521r, bp256r1, bp384r1, bp512r1, curve25519
- Signing: ECDSA (all except curve25519), EdDSA (curve25519 only)
- Decryption: ECDH (all except curve25519)
- Import and export using NIST AES-CCM Wrap at 128, 196, and 256 bits
- On-chip True Random Number Generator (TRNG) used to seed NIST SP 800-90 AES 256 CTR_DRBG
- Asymmetric key pairs generated on-device may be attested using a factory certified attestation key and certificate, or using your own key and certificate imported into the HSM
Performance varies depending on usage.Example metrics from an otherwise unoccupied YubiHSM 2:
- RSA-2048-PKCS1-SHA256: ~139ms avg
- RSA-3072-PKCS1-SHA384: ~504ms avg
- RSA-4096-PKCS1-SHA512: ~852ms avg
- ECDSA-P256-SHA256: ~73ms avg
- ECDSA-P384-SHA384: ~120ms avg
- ECDSA-P521-SHA512: ~210ms avg
- EdDSA-25519-32Bytes: ~105ms avg
- EdDSA-25519-64Bytes: ~121ms avg
- EdDSA-25519-128Bytes: ~137ms avg
- EdDSA-25519-256Bytes: ~168ms avg
- EdDSA-25519-512Bytes: ~229ms avg
- EdDSA-25519-1024Bytes: ~353ms avg
- AES-(128|192|256)-CCM-Wrap: ~10ms avg
- HMAC-SHA-(1|256): ~4ms avg
- HMAC-SHA-(384|512): ~243ms avg
- All data stored as objects. 256 object slots, 128KB (base 10) max total
- Stores up to 127 rsa2048, 93 rsa3072, 68 rsa4096 or 255 of any elliptic curve type, assuming only one authentication key is present
- Object types: Authentication keys (used to establish sessions); asymmetric private keys; opaque binary data objects, e.g. x509 certs; wrap keys; HMAC keys
- Mutual authentication and secure channel between applications and HSM
- M of N unwrap key restore via YubiHSM Setup Tool
Software Development Kit
A Software Development Kit for YubiHSM 2 includes:
- YubiHSM Core Library (libyubihsm) for C, Python
- YubiHSM Shell (Configuration CLI)
- PKCS#11 Module
- YubiKey Key Storage Provider (KSP) for use with Microsoft
- YubiHSM Connector
- YubiHSM Setup Tool
- Documentation and code examples
Learn more about the SDK by following this link https://www.yubico.com/products/services-software/download/yubihsm-2-libraries-and-tools/
- Universal Serial Bus (USB) 1.x Full Speed (12Mbit/s) Peripheral with bulk interface.
- Form-factor: ‘nano’ designed for confined spaces such as internal USB ports in servers
- Dimensions: 12mm x 13mm x 3.1mm
- Weight: 1 gram
- Current requirements 20mA avg, 30mA max
- USB-A plug connector
Safety and environmental compliance